PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Navigation impossible?
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2002, 03:59
J0N0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 in 60, 10nm markers, WAC, GS checks?? What is all all that stuff?? I thought the secret of happiness was "GO TO" "ENTER"

Seriously though, some great advice offered, must agree with the idea of flying track as heading and Ground speed as TAS. This of course must be taken with a grain of salt, flew with a guy (charter pilot finishing off his c210 ICUS) one day that told me he didn't trust GPS and would use it, that was fine except he didn't bother to use his WAC either, rather embarasing result!! I've found if you use forcasted weather as a guide and say we will PROBABLY be left/right of track and early/late and first fix and see what happens then use a 1:60 at the fix works well. Remember allowing for wind once and all it did was increase my off track error.
Certainly that near enough good enough idea is good too!!! Was coming back the other day IFR with a TSO gps and all the bells and whistles and approach told me to track present position to a 10nm final, read it straight back then wondered how the hell I was actually going to do it, could have plotted the co-ords ect and used the GPS but I was 70nm to the west with a North/south runway so turned 10deg left and it worked like a charm. The old basic methods are quick easy and best of all they work