PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are Ryanair still taking on FOs?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2009, 19:24
MrHorgy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every airline has their faults. Pilots will never be happy, the grass will always be greener.

Pilots are the most unadaptable people at times, some of the guys i've spoken to think it's almost criminal they have to take an empty bottle of water to work and fill it up. Times are changing, and people have to adapt with them. I don't see any problem with filling my bottle up. Plus it saves money. Plus the water is colder. Plus it saves X amount of waste on bottles.

Even if O'Leary implemented all the changes BALPA want, pilots would still want more. In summary, if we we're all given company women/men at our disposal, pilots would moan their breasts weren't big enough!

I accept, in some cases, Ryanair customer service leaves a lot to be desired. But so does BA, and Virgin, and Thomas Cook, and <insert airline name here>. No-one is infallible.

I second COMMANDB's comment regarding the employment situation as it stands. There is no-one else recruiting. If there was, you would pay for your rating, either outright, or in the form of a reduced salary. As it is, I have successfully offset my Type Rating cost, and every single cost involved with Ryanair I have incurred against my tax bill.

In summary, I work 5/4. The planes don't break. I clear £4,000 a month. I fly brand new simulators. My roster doesn't get changed at late notice. I have an open channel of dialogue to my base captain, head of operations, the flight safety office, and much more. More importantly, I enjoy my job.

I see the message you are trying to convey - think twice before embarking on significant investment in an airline, that involves a large expenditure. That is advice I heartily endorse. All i'm saying is that RYR really isn't as bad as everyone says it is. As CommandB says, if you wish to question a specific T&C or point regarding the operation, i'm happy to give you my response, as long as you won't shout me down as being in bed with our management. The people (not necessarily you) who peddle this anti-Ryanair drivel just bang on about generalised statements and refuse to accept any other point of view. And that is exactly why I got fed up of posting on pprune.

Horgy