PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Viscount fuel starvation
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2009, 11:14
ABUKABOY
Bring back the Dak!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was right behind him on the same set of charter flights, saw him take off as we went downwind at Santander, was the next aircraft to refuel from that very same bowser, but as we were in the Intra "go faster" Viscount 815 G-AVJB, we ordered full tanks, and didn't stop refuelling until onboard cut-offs worked. Our uplift and OK guages confirmed our fuel load. Due to a real slick turnaround, we caught up with 'BY as we approached Berry Head, and as we took radar vectors for the westerly R/W at Exeter, we suddenly jumped from No 3 to No 2 in sequence on the radio, which seemed a little odd, but we concentrated on the job in hand, broke cloud as we came over the ridge on the ILS in poor light and drizzle, and landed. We taxied in, and I was just a little pleased with myself, having just flown my first "solo" as P1 on the Viscount, and can remember the smile dropping from my face as the handling agent came on the flightdeck and broke the news.
Exeter was a Customs training station, and there had been a mega exercise on all day. Guess who were the first to stumble through that field where 'BY had come to rest?
Yup, Customs........never mind the state of the passengers, they were there to check the bar-boxes were still sealed!! You couldn't make it up!!