PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RYANAIR thoughts
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2009, 17:38
al446

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RSS

OK, let's take it line by line

the test for this is at least 10% of the proposed bargaining unit are members of the union and a majority of the proposed bargaining unit would be likely to favour recognition. A petition may count as evidence.
Not exactly favouring BALPA unless, of course, you have not been as persuasive as you think.

If a majority of the bargaining unit are members of the union, the CAC may issue a declaration that the union is recognised for collective bargaining. However, this is not an automatic process.

The CAC must order a ballot if it is satisfied that one of three conditions apply:
- that it is in the interests of good industrial relations to hold a ballot
-that a significant number of union members in the bargaining unit inform the CAC that they do not want recognition
-that membership evidence is produced which leads the CAC to doubt whether a significant number want recognition.
Seems fair enough to me. You wouldn't be myopic would you? Or maybe you were confused when you wrote.

Then if 50% + 1 of the pilots are members of the union, even if they don't want recognition, the CAC can award recognition
To secure recognition, a union needs a vote in favour from a majority of those voting and 40% of those balloted.
Once again, seems fair enough. I didn't draw this law up and it was hardly designed by the TUC but it is what we've got. Let's do the maths.
40% of the unit means 50% on a turnout of 80%, a level that is seen only in emerging democracies, eg first full participation vote in SA, or repressive states like Zimbabwe. I would say that that is a pretty high hurdle to jump but you seem to want to set the bar higher. As I have said in an earlier post, I do not think that BRK pilots would be included, they either contract for themselves or a company other RYR. Take legal advice, I've given you the link, they are good, I've used them.

All this talks about union members, not workers.
Wrong, it talks about bargaining units. That is RYR contracted pilots but I am always willing to correct my stance if your legal eagle tells you absolutely that BRK guys should be included. It would appear to me from your postings that you wish to have a bargaining unit of 1, you. Otherwise everyone, so why not drag the contract cleaners into this?

more of the bases are having their own ballots and telling BALPA HQ to withdraw the application.
Under whose auspices are these ballots carried out? Can it be shown that undue pressure has not been exerted? It seems about as valid as witchcraft but a bit more dangerous.

100 per cent, I still haven't had an answer to my questions from either you or BALPA HQ: cut out the flannel about dignity and respect, tell the FR pilots precisely what the improvements will be and when.
If you had used the eyedrops and read my post properly you would know my stance re BALPA and, if you read my previous posts in other forums you will observe that I have consistently said that I do not work in aviation and am a Unison steward, BALPA central have never contacted me. If the vote goes for recognition then it is up to FR pilots to organise within that union, elect spokespeople and promulgate their manifesto, have it approved by the members and then put it to management. I dont know of any union who has gone into a workplace with a manifesto in place, as said, that is in the hands of the organisation you put in place. I use'you' loosely.

We don't need the easyJet roster; ours is better. We don't need your staff travel, ours is better. We don't need crew food, it's rubbish anyway. We have a pension scheme, we get paid for car parking, medicals, loss of licence, uniform so we don't need that.
So we are back to the bargaining unit of 1 - you. Do all the pilots echo your view? Oh, I forgot, you had a 'ballot'.

Keep on speculating.