PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 12th Jul 2009, 12:37
Classic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reargunner
Don't all employees have working agreements? Don't all working agreements place limits on the way the company operates? In that sense, everybody has restrictive practices

Yes, but the philosophy in an airline is that the operation will be planned in accordance with that those agreements. However, if an aircraft goes tech, or snow totally disrupts the operation, the "professional" approach to our work now takes priority, getting the job done and passengers to their destination. This will involve going beyond industrial limits and going to legal limits if necessary. Bassa regularly veto that option.

I've flown for BA for many years and I have never had to divert or night stop in a disruption because of cc hours...the pilots are always forced to stop working before us because the scheme limits are an hour less for them
Well many thousands of your colleagues have! Often the crew aren't even told they have a choice - Bassa tell IFS management that the aircraft will nightstop, and it then happens.

Pilots are legally limited to one hour less than cabincrew's legal limits, but cabin crew industrial limits in nearly all cases are less than our legal limits. Pilots too have industrial limits, but once the pilots have commenced the duty, they will in 99.9% of the time continue to legal limits.

I also don't know the story of the Denver flight diverting. Isn't that one of the trips where the pilots have to carry a heavy pilot in order to allow them to take rest? Is that why the pilots could have legally continued beyond the cc limits?
Pop into the Bassa office and ask them. Willie went mad!
The cabin crew would have been able to go on 1 hour longer than the pilots, even with the third man. It was the Bassa enforced industrial limit that resulted in them telling Operations management to divert the aircraft.

I thought that the pilots also had industrial agreements (aka restrictive practices) with BA? Don't you expect and indeed insist that BA plan the operation around those?
Absolutely, but once past the planning stage, ie we're on the aircraft, in the event of disruption we will almost always continue to legal limits. IE GET THE JOB DONE!

Why is there this repeated assertion that cc still work to 1970's style agreements and that we have avoided any changes?
Things like :
2 nights rest in Prestwick, stranding passengers,
Delaying aircraft to wait for an extra crewmember as Bassa won't allow the aircraft to go one down,
A destination payment if the bunk rest area light is u/s,
No fixed links at Heathrow (Every other airline does them!)
CAT payments, when there's no longer the CAT lounge....

I could go on.

PS Good to see you come over from CF. I can't post on there but regularly read so much that is factually wrong. So it's good to pass the true situation onto you, so you can repeat it there!