PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 3
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2009, 05:08
shgsaint

CAD test and current JAA class 1 holders?

I have to ask, if this new CAD testing system replaces the current screening tests (Ishihara & Lanterns), what does this mean for current JAA class 1 medical holders? I have an unrestriced class 1 medical and passed the Ishihara plates at Gatwick. However in the CAD example I lose sight of the moving square a couple of times for about 2 to 3 seconds. According to the website:

"The absence of the moving square may only last for 2 to 3 seconds, before you see it reappearing in a different colour. This temporary disappearance of the pattern is what you have to watch for in the test. When this happens, you may like to confirm this with your optometrist who will be able to diagnose the type and severity of your colour deficiency loss."

Would I be screened on this CAD test when I revalidate my medical, which may give a minor indication of a colour deficiency, or will the fact I have already demonstrated to the CAA that I'm technically 'Colour Safe', using their current screening methods allow me to bypass any future testing? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the idea of having to undergo further uneccessary testing that could reverse my status to 'Colour Unsafe'.

What sort of protection is there for current JAA Class 1 medical holders that have passed the current colour screening methods but know their colour vision is not 'perfect'?

Cheers,

SHG.

Last edited by shgsaint; 12th Jul 2009 at 09:01.