PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Navigation impossible?
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2002, 11:32
radar o'reilly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont sweat it Victa. everyone of us have been there.

the only advice I can add to the excellent advice already given, is three things.
  • keep it simple. you dont need to make it an exact science. As BTT said, make your calculations as close as you can get. naturally, the closer the better, but you dont need decimal places. for example, if you fly a FULL 5 DEGREES off track for a FULL 60 MILES, you will only be 5 miles off track. draw a 5 mile circle on your map, it aint that big. your 1 in 60's are designed to get you heading back in the right direction, they aren't a calculation to get you overhead your destiation give or take 1 metre.
  • the best advice anyone has ever given me is what he called the three fundamentals of navigation.
    HEADING. GROUNDSPEED. TIME.
    fly your set heading, at your calcualted groundspeed for a certain amount of time and there is only ONE place you can be. and you will NEVER MISS. (he also made me write those three words a hundred times after a Nav, it worked.)
  • LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE. never navigate out your side window. pick your fix ahead of you, do all your calc's for that fix before you get there. that is the basics of working ahead of the aircraft.

last but not least, relax. if you were suppose to master it in two nav's, there would only be two PPL navs in the syllabus. practice will make perfect so stay cool. you probably haven't done a diversion yet. that will keep you on your toes.

just my (very longwinded) two cents.

radar.

Last edited by radar o'reilly; 24th May 2002 at 12:16.