PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R.T.F.P......please.
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2009, 19:20
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by bookworm
I would expect the proportion to be vastly different.

It's worth drawing a distinction between smaller airfields and larger airports. To extend the analogy above, if I were wanting to go somewhere and park on an acquaintance's drive, I'd call them to ask for permission. But do I need to call Waitrose and ask for permission if I want to go and park in their car park to shop there?

I can quite understand small, private strips, sometimes with planning restrictions, with no AIP entry, requiring PPR. But... Cranfield? Manston? Bournemouth? Duxford? All of these are quite capable of publishing any procedures and notifying changes via NOTAM. Why the need to make use of these airports so inflexible?
I still don't see the problem with being asked to make a quick phone call.

But, taking two of those airfields you've listed. Duxford routinely has displays / display practice / public events going on. Published data may not be absolutely up to date, so I can see some sense in it. Cranfield routinely has operations disrupted by the BAe-146-301 Atmospheric Research Aircraft based there, the timing of which can change multiple times through the day - plus can be used for other disruptive research activities on the runway. So, I can see good reasons for it.

Bournemouth - no, I agree, there seems little sense in the requirement there, maybe a local can offer an opinion. Manston I've never been to so have no opinion.

G