PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 11th Jul 2009, 19:17
Slickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bealine,

I feel sorry for you. You are, sadly, misinformed. Mind you, you have had the opportunity, but have merely "skimmed" the previous posts. Apart from the odd rant, most paint the picture the way it is, with numerous examples to back it up.

Whilst it is a nice idea to think that your union can just thump the table, and refuse to budge an inch (although, bizarrely, it is only the CC section of Unite that appear to be doing this, the rest having accepted the economic realities of life in 2009 - not 1971), it is not workable. I think that point was proven a long time ago; something to do with the miners and Maggie (I'm not going to take sides there BTW). The simple fact is that if BA do not change, then they will go under. If BA are bluffing, then, I'm sure you can claim back all your perks (sorry the CC's, not yours), because, no doubt BA will be desperate to have them back. That is how a market economy works.

I joined BA over ten years ago. They paid for my pilot training, and then gave me job. Now I fly with people who have a £100,000 debt, because that's what it cost them to become a pilot. If they are unfortunate enough to end up at Ryanair they have to pay for their own uniform, application, and work the first 6 months effectively for nothing. I'm not happy about it, but, I guess that's the market. If people are willing to do it, then there's not much I can do about it. Or maybe I should write to BASSA!

You don't seem to think that BASSA have any restrictive practices. Well, again, please read the thread, not skim it. There are numerous examples, the most obvious, being the snow disruption this year. If BASSA merely moved into the 21st century, and got rid of their "down tools, we're not budging an inch" negotiating stance, they probably would have delivered their cost-savings targets. Sadly, for most CC, they didn't, and the 30th June deadline has now passed.