PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Navigation impossible?
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2002, 10:16
BelowTenThousand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Victa,

PPL navigation training is one of the toughest things you will do when learning to fly. As you said, there is a lot to do, and initially it seems terribly overwhelming; sometimes too overwhelming!!

You must realise though that you have only just completed navex 2. I'm not too sure of your syllabus, but there should be at least 5 more to go. These five exercises will give you approximately 12 to 13 more hours in the chair, and at the end of it you will feel fairly confident and in control of your new situation.

A system that helped me in my navexs', all those many moons ago, was to plot out on the lounge room floor where I was going ie. the red saucer was Jandakot, the tea cup was Northam etc. Once I had my route layed out I just "flew" around it practising everything that I would be doing on the flight like departure calls, 1:60's, CLEAROFFs etc. You may feel like a turd, but the practice does help - and don't forget to give yourself an engine failure somewhere too!

A rule of thumb that helped me with mental calculations is don't be too precise with the numbers. If you have to multiply 22 by 16 then simply multiply 20 by 15 (or 10 by 15 then double it), and then add "a bit" ( a very scientific calculation that can only be found on extremely complex calculators) and this should get you close enough to the required answer. This method however is only good for those times when "close enough is good enough", if you need to be precise, then use a pencil and paper!

As I said earlier, PPL navs are the hardest you will do. They all get easier from here on in. What you are learning now gives you the fundamentals that you will hone, and utilise, in all forthcoming navs ie. commercial navexs. Be tough on yourself, try for perfection, do everything the way you are suppose to do it, and at the end of Nav 7 you will be ready to show the CFI exactly how competent you are!

Good Luck!