PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotorheads Around the World (incl 'Views from the Cockpit')
Old 9th Jul 2009, 19:15
SASless

Received 521 Likes on 217 Posts
My goal was always to put the guys on the ropes....or fixed line....down as gently as possible and make sure the aircraft did not fall on top of them. I accepted the fact the aircraft was going to be a write off but hopefully I could use it up in a manner that kept me as intact as possible.

When you have folks hanging under you.....you accept both a responsibility and liability as regard their safety and well being. In all of my helicopter flying....these were the times I most keenly felt the burden of doing things as perfect as possible. There seemed to be a heck of a lot of difference between carrying people inside the aircraft as compared to their being slung under you or rappelling down the rope. Rappelling generally went quickly and thus the exposure was not very long in duration but fixed roping/short haulling was an altogether thing. I had nightmares about dragging folks into something....or losing the entire line.

All of my rappelling and fixed line work was done in either Hueys or Chinooks so I had a lot of "aircraft" to use up if things went all wrong. Never worried about the Chinook as it had plenty of power but the old Huey being single engined posed an all together mindset.

The key was being ready to react should anything go even slightly wrong....delay could be a killer!

The importance of a very detailed brief for each flight...so everyone knew what to do....which way to run...or hide....and which way the aircraft would move went a long way in improving the chances for the guys on the ropes or on the ground.