PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R.T.F.P......please.
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2009, 17:04
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with JW411.

I fly corporate helis and aeroplanes and would never go anywhere without PPR, either in my working guise or in my lovely little weekend puddle jumper.

At my home base this week we had a bright spark call up at ten miles straight in with no PPR and obviously no reading of Pooleys or whatever. There were six in the circuit, three holding for approaches and one poor sod (me) just establishing on the ILS. Whoever you were I hope you were awfully polite to the ground ops staff and ATC because you made their lives quite difficult for a while and made the GA community look pretty poor.

When the flight guides and the AIP say PPR then it is beholden on you to obtain it. Just pitching up shows you to be ignorant of basic planning and demonstrates poor airmanship.

The gent at my home base caused at TCAS RA which luckily got sorted very quickly by the lady approach ATC, otherwise I would have been on for a go round and a further approach which at £ 26.43 per minute would have annoyed me a great deal, and my boss even more.

Many of the larger regional airports are looking for excuses to rid themselves of GA. Poor planning and airmanship just adds grist to their mill.