PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 6th Jul 2009, 22:50
Tight Accountant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9 to 5'ers

dns,

While I am sympathetic to your predictament, I think you will find that even on the outside, the majority of jobs have their positive and negative points.

As a 9 to 5'er (albeit on garden leave), the usual downsides are the daily grind of the regular commute, sometimes little or no work variation, office politics, kowtowing to the Boss (which I tend to refrain from doing, which has probably contributed to my current situation), eating mediocre canteen food and paying for the privilege, working with people that you rather wouldn't (although applies to all sectors) and solemn obeyance of inane health & safety rules. And when the opportunity does arise to go somewhere different through work, in my experience it is often in the depths of winter to some inhospitable part of the world, e.g. another office block in the UK.

In short, I think we can call it 'office tedium'. Sure the grass may seem greener but often there is an awful lot of drudgery as well. It all probably boils down to which occupation one prefers, the assciated lifestyle and whether one wishes to persevere.