PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR training tips
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2009, 20:46
EK4457

Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
African Dude,

I put my disclaimer to discourage your obvious post. There is always someone on PPRUNE who has to wave their willy and show off. Well done.

Every instructor I have ever known will discourage IR training, particularly in the hold, with silly cross wind components. Of course it's possible, and of course it is done in the real world.

However, you will be far, far more likely to bust your limits and get little training value.

Why on earth did you do your test with a 46kt cross wind? You are creating a lot of extra work and reducing your chances of passing. All for the same qualification as the person who waited for a 20kt cross wind. I'd be genuinely interested to know?

After suggtesting a skill test with 46kts across the hold, you then say

Think simple.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a pop. You may well be much more experienced than me, but what you say flys in the face of everything I was taught.

Like I said earlier, you have to draw a line between real world SPA IFR flying and IR training. For training, your goal is to learn new skills and to pass a test.

If your whizz wheel starts telling you 20 degrees of drift in the hold, think twice before you start burning £350 ph.

I agree with everything else though.....