PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Offr "Branches" vs. OR "Trades" - can anyone help?
Old 6th Jul 2009, 15:22
Ash679

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Riskman et al,

Thanks for your answers.

I'm pretty well up on the RAFVR itself, just not how it is currently organised in terms of how each of its "formations" (for want of a better word) relate to each other, other than knowing that following the 1997 re-organisation, the VR(T), UAS, & DTUS are the only remaining "formations" in the VR ...I was perhaps not as clear as I could or should have been in my original question.

So - the fundamental question is this - can SNCOs and WOs serve in the VR(T) or not? If so, why, and if not, why not?

Is the RAFVR (Training branch) - by regulation(s) - a branch (for Officers only) in the same way as Engineer, Logistics, General Duties etc. in the regular RAF?

If so, can ORs also serve in the VR(T), or is this not possible because ORs serve in a particular Trade, rather than a branch (like Officers)? (the essential issue here being that ATC SNCOs & WOs(ATC) do not have a Trade under current system, as they are in the ATC - and are, in terms of status, civilians in uniform - rather than being in the RAFR).

Or... is all of this a myth, and do these aspects (i.e. branches & trades) of the regular RAF organisational structure not apply to the Reserve Air Forces?

I could probably do with a copy of AP3392 Vol.7 (please PM if you can help me with an electronic copy, unless it is protectively marked - forgive my ignorance, never seen a copy!)

Cheers
Ash679