PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Shar Decision - Questioning "Their Lordships"`
Old 23rd May 2002, 12:14
Nozzles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bystanderish,

RE: "Fact 1"
I presume your reading of 'utter rot' about how well the FA2s performed in Op Deliberate Force over Bosnia in '95 was a reference to one of my postings on the subject.

Let's get a few things straight:

As I stated to Jacko, I no longer serve HM and have no axe to grind in this debate. I see my inputs simply as challenging incorrect facts about this and other aircrafts' capabilities.

I took part in Deliberate Force in '95, as well as Deny Flight both before and after DF. I had access to BDA imagery from DF. I also, like everybody, had access to the bolix rumours, spread by some individuals lacking self-confidence, throughout the FJ community about the FA2's bombing perf in theatre.

The DMPIs were chosen by the CAOC to match the platform. Those DMPIs got shacked. I don't think that anybody is trying to claim that the FA2 could tackle all the DMPIs a dedicated attack platform can handle.

I have always believed that if you have sufficient faith in your own argument, you don't need to exaggerate or twist the truth. I have posted nothing but independantly verifiable facts, if you care to find the appropriate archive.

I hope I didn't 'fool anyone into believing that the FA2's bombing performance came close to that of the Jags/GR7s dropping LGBs.' A careful read of my posting will show that I stated that the PUBLISHED CEPs of UNGUIDED weapons from the FA2 in its CURRENT CONDITION (using its RLG INS with embedded GPS) are in competition with all other UK assets' UNGUIDED WEAPON CEPs. If you don't believe me-go read the book. There's nothing more I can say.

"Fact 2" is essentially correct. The SHAR's agility has been exaggerated ever since '82

"fact 3" I can't imagine why the FA2 would envy the Jag's EW suite. Both aircraft have the same RWR. If the Jag is capable of carrying BOL LAUs (can't remember) then both aircraft have the same chaff carrying capacity. The FA2 is capable of carrying multiple GEN-X active decoys. Last time I looked, the Jag didn't have them. Have they fitted the Jag with some great new EW kit since I've been away?

Jacko,

Not many fighter pilots think much of the F3/ AMRAAM combination (apologies to my F3 brethren-not trying to be personal). Unfortunately we can't discuss the whys and wherefores in this forum.

MOA,

I once trailed all the way from Yeovilton to SW USA with a Nimrod along as SAR. They didn't need a suck of gas and were a very welcome and reassuring sight. Just wish they wouldn't keep showing you endless cups of coffee, hot chicken tikka wraps and mars bars through the window.............

Finally......

Best of luck to WE Branch Fanatic, who joins the Navy imminently

N