PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Updated briefing Samedan/LSZS
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2009, 19:53
clivewatson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
be prepared for EGPWS warnings on downwind !
gigi116, mate I think you might be doing something wrong.....
We are regular visitors and our experience is that EGPWS alarms are quite common. Had a strange one on last visit where we were given "pull up" call outs all the way down finals to 21 despite in NO WAY being below the profile - and yes, it was CAVOK. The latter only happened only once though.

If the forecast is 50/50 we offer the owner the option of fly and see if it's possible, or decide at the outset to fly straight to Zurich.

On another note, we were once waiting to depart (delayed due to poor viz and low cloud) and listened to a SCHEDULED arrival attempting to find a hole through which to dive, so I guess the concept of "dive and arrive" at Samedan is not unique.

My only advise to those contemplating such an arrival is that when you find a hole that you consider big enough (you set your own criteria) - you check that ATC are not going to depart someone up into the same bit of airspace!

Other considerations:

Empty your bar before parking up for an overnight - everything will freeze!
Check the forecast the day before you plan to leave - you may not be able to get out. Think about positioning out empty the day before if it looks iffy, and taxi pax to meet you.

Geat skiing to be had while waiting downroute for a week or so!