PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 5th Jul 2009, 10:31
londonmet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flapsforty

Summarizing what I have come across over the past 10 years on PPRuNe, here are the reasons for the difference in pay:
Pilots train for longer than cabin crew
Pilot training is more expensive than cabin crew training
The skill/talent set required to become a pilot is less widely found in the general population than the skill/talent set needed to become a flight attendant
Piloting is a male dominated job, FA-ing is a female dominated job. Male jobs get paid better than female jobs. UK Gender pay gap currently at 20%.
Not to mention the command structure on board an aircraft having anything to do with the level of salary paid. Captain in charge, first officer second in charge, pursar etc etc.

I have the same debate going on in my airline with regards to pilot pay vs CC pay. I think it is relevant here if BASSA are using pilot pay as a benchmark so to speak. You can't compare the jobs and therefore have CSD's/Pursars being paid more than the F/O. Rank speaking it's not the CSD's cabin its the Captains then F/O's. Lets get some perspective on rank.

Good luck,

L Met