PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 30 grand down the pan???
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2002, 09:48
DeeTee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Fair question, and it has been asked before, but that doesn't change it's validity. I planed to do exactly what you are. So at Age 30 went to States got PPL, Night, IMC, and 185 hours. Came back to Uk to do the ATPL's. Plan was to return to States to get instructors rating, BCPL, multi etc. and instruct. However industry was changing, felt time was right, changed plan and went to BAe Prestwick. Got BCPL, CPL/IR (all this modular). Turns out industry was changing. Unemployed for year and a half. Worked to keep a little money coming in doing crap jobs (driving lorries etc), had no spare financial flex so couldn't get instructors rating.. Had to have a job I could walk away from at a moments notice. Could not afford to be stuck in a 3 month contract when opportunity came knocking. Very, very depressed, £44k down the pan......thought of jacking it all in and going back to old job...year and a half after getting CPL/IR phone rings on Tues, come for interview tomorrow. Go to interview on Wed, cock interview up. Thurs night as cycling home from crap job in rain in Feb. Mobile rings...can I start on Monday. Flying Medium jets, RHS, with a scheduled carrier. only 250 hours...let me see, I am really enjoying driving lorries...but what the heck....DAMN Right I can start. Go to work on friday, tell boss I'm leaving. Accidentally hit bosses mercedes with 7.5ton truck and rip wing off his car (true and it was an accident).

Start job. do sim, pass sim, get on line. Flying RHS commercial jets for last 2 and half years.

Happy....YES.

Was it the right thing to do.....YES

Would I have done it even if I couldn't have got a job....YES

Why....I didn't want to be sat on my chair in the garden, when I was 65 years old looking at the vapour trails above me and saying 'I wish I'd tried'. rather be there saying 'well I gave it my best shot'.

Best of luck mate.