PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 4th Jul 2009, 19:59
sunnysmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I am really struggling to understand is why are Bassa and for that matter some crew (I’m guessing the militant) so obsessed with the pilots T’s and C’s.

whats good for the goose, is good for the gander!!!. Come on BILL I'll have the same as our flight deck. Good for CRM
Surely that just doesn’t apply, and neither does fairness IMHO. Our two groups do two very different jobs with very different responsibilities. On top of that there is a more readily available supply of CC compared to pilots. Compare that principle with why diamonds are expensive. Not every stone can be a diamond.

I’m sorry to have to say (please take this in the spirit in which it is intended – ie not a dig or a rant) that to try and compare pilots and cabin crew pay in this way is plain naïve. We earn more and have (debateable bit now) better T’s and C’s because that’s the whole point of striving to better oneself and move up the social and economic ladder.

By applying Bassa’s logic: Macdonalds staff do the same job as CC (it’s just an illustration NOT my opinion!!) so they should enjoy the same perks and pay. Lets put it another way: Why does the CSD get better pay, room upgrades, different staff travel etc then main crew? Because they have moved up the social and responsibility ladder and are thus rewarded for their hard work.

Why do some CC begrudge pilots? I guess to be honest an element of jealousy creeps in. Who hasn’t looked at say footballers in the UK and thought ‘that’s not fair?’. It’s not fair but that is how the world works. If we all, and that’s everyone from cleaners to people with immense responsibility like surgeons (or pilots ) got that same T’s and C’s, pay and even perks then what is the point of working hard?

So can any of you militant CC or Bassa reps really justify comparing our respective packages? Really?

In much the same way that people equate CSDs (and I have some very good CSD, purser and main crew friends by the way!) and FOs. How can you really justify it?

I sincerely hope this POV is not taken as a rant. Like I said at the start, I just don’t get why some think our jobs, responsibilities etc are in anyway comparable!

SS