PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR training tips
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2009, 21:58
EK4457

Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dji8879,

What are you on about? The OP clearly wants info on the IR course. I think you have replied to the wrong thread. Not sure how though?

Back on topic, my best advice is;

1) Trim! Let the A/C fly itself. You have a lot of tuning/fiddling/writing/talking to do at once. If the A/C is in trim, life is easy.

2) Descend at no more than 1000fpm. 500fpm is nice and gentle.

3) All turns rate one.

4) Regardless of what your CRP tells you, there are only 3 types of drift: 5, 10 and 15 degrees.

The information you used to calculate drift is not accurate enough to give you anything else. Besides, you probably will not be able to accurately fly drift to the degree.

If you need 20 degrees of drift, you will not be doing your test. You will not have a nice time on an NDB DME approach trying to maintain +/- 5 degrees QDM.

5) Practice your test route SIDs and STARS/approaches on flightsim. Rubbish for flying, but stick it on AP and get used to what the needles do.

6) Do not write ANYTHING down on final approach. Even when the controller gives you a non standard MA procedure 2 miles from the MAP. It WILL happen. Pick up your pen and watch the needles bust their limits instantly! Just remember what they said and say it back.

7) Trim.

8) Practice the EF after GA at home in your armchair.

10) Overall, the IR is about performing to a high standard just by using the most basic principles and techniques. Trimming, rate one turns, PAT - APT, power plus attitude equals performance and knowing your A/C figures will allow you concentrate on the 'IR' side of things.

Usual PPRUNE disclaimer, I know you can do instrument approaches with 20 degrees of drift but my comments are specifically aimed at the IR course.

Enjoy!