PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oban/Glenforsa News
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2009, 19:41
Helen49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many months ago I vowed never to comment again on this site, however the Oban thread attracted my attention recently and I shall break my vow in order to add my experiences.

On my recent visit I was most impresssed with the service provided during the week. The weather was excellent and the Airport was pretty busy (several hundred movements over the week or so). The staff were first class and I never experienced a jobsworth all week. Nothing was too much trouble. The facilities are excellent and the FIS was good if not always word perfect. I understand that the FISOs are relatively new to the job and are endeavouring to provide a good professional service. They are all licensed by the CAA and in these early days are being monitored fairly closely. They will learn from experience as should we all.

I am told that PPR is due to the limited experience of the FISOs and the limited amount of parking space for aircraft. It also operates under an 'ordinary' licence' the meaning of which is no doubt understood by all the experts on here! Perhaps if all the visiting pilots comply with the prior booking requirement, this will enable the FISOs to cope with the traffic more efficiently.

In my considerable experience, most airfields have their whingers, and those who behave like children. Unfortunately they are mainly amongst the GA fraternity and unfairly give GA a bad name. Usually the whingers are bitter and twisted about something but again, fortunately, the whingers are in the minority. I expect that Oban is no different.

The whingers will be regarded for what they are and the vast majority of us will enjoy Oban, its spectacular scenery (on a fine day!), and the pleasant helpful service provided at this splendid Airport/Airfield/Aerodrome........does it really matter?

Helen49