PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MacfliteTrainee Pilot Program?
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2002, 04:53
hvy 18 wheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I can help with your query!
I was visiting in oz last week and saw the ad you mentioned, it has a number to call and ask for ***** ******, is that correct.
1st: the reason ther is auto sensorship on this site is because macflite is linked to ******** and ******, both fo which were involved a few years ago in a bitter feud on jetblast tha got very messy as people were dropping names etc..............
However....... if you front up and pay your money you will get an aussie cpl with a command instrument rating and a frozen atpl. that means you will have to pass the theory subjects but will not be issued the licence from casa until you get the reqrd hours......
Then the selection process will take a few different steps..... if there are heaps of you paying for the course then there will only be limited positions available in both M^cair and J$tcraft especially now as JC has lost alot of contracts and has way too many pilots,, probably goes the same for M*cair too?
Anyway if you are gifted enough to dux the course you will be shipped off to townsville or brisbane to do your f/o endorsement which you will have to pay for and probably be training bonded to the company for say 18mths or 2 years.
If you get into M^cair you will fly RPT from townsville or even brisvegas if you get into J^tcraft you could end up anywhere but seen as though they dont have any f/o's anymore you will most probably end up in townsville.
After doing your f/o time you will need some command experience to gain you command with them, this will be a command metro endorsement most likely as they will not put you straight onto the saab. I believe they are tied into air mount isa in some way and that could mean you will end up in the bush probably flying some sort of twin engine piston around for 1000 hrs or so until they remember who you are and put you back into the system with a command.........
You will need to ask all these questions and many more like what will be my pay ( is it the award wage for regional 19 seat turbo prop etc), if you have to go to the bush what will be your wage and conditions of service then ( again based on award you would hope) etc etc etc etc
what safety and protection do you have if they go bust, remember what i said about their freight division, this industry runs in cycles and i believe they had their good run on freight a few years ago, they are also linked with tr^nstate airlines in cairns, so you could even end up on a banderantie?????( dont know how to spel that one)
flying the top end on rpt( regular public transport).
I personally know the first guy to complete the course a few years back and he went on to a command on the metro and lost his job because of a very bad mistake made with a couple of engines ( roughly $500,000 damage). Don't think that just because you will get the endorsement you will know what you are doing, these acft are nice and dosile while they are in clear skies but put them in icing conditions with a low experienced driver and they are a handful.
I wish you all the best..........
ps i think qantas is still holding a self funded cadet training program in BAFTA adelaide costs around $100k + and doesn't guarantee non QF sons and daughters a job in the airline either....

Last edited by Woomera; 23rd May 2002 at 16:53.