PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RYANAIR thoughts
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2009, 16:52
Abusing_the_sky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
197 A/C have to be crewed and need engineers so if aircraft get moved they are still going to have to staffed. Ryanair have a legal obligation under EU, UK and most other EU countries law to offer you alternative positions or arrangements in these other bases. You might have to move but your job or position is still going to have to be maintained and that is without discussing if closing a base because of recognition (as you say will happen) is even legal. Will your position be maintained? Yes it will.
But i don't want to move! That's the point i (and many others are) am trying to make! I am perfectly fine where i am now. Why should i pay a rent somewhere outside the UK when i have my house here in the Midlands? Are you, your pro BALPA friends and BALPA itself going to pay for my rent when i get transferred so i can afford to pay for the mortgage?? I can't do both you know.

I have seen a number of BRK FO's struggling to make bill payments because of a lack of flying never mind if the said individual gets injured. Just a question; Will you pay his or her bills once the winter down happens or he breaks a leg? These individuals have on or around £100,000 of debt but are struggling to make loan repayments from flight training.
Again, will YOU pay for my rent when i am transferred outside the UK because MOL is so pi$$ed off with this BALPA thing that he's going to close down the base?
I do feel sorry for these guys and gals, and i honestly wish them all the best and hope they get back on their feet. However, isn't it all laid down in their T&C's? I'm sure the company wouldn't do that without looking into T&C's first. They are not stupid, they are a BUSINESS and will do whatever it takes to keep it going. What they won't do is being careless and find themselves taken to court. They've done it in the past and lost. I guess they learned a lesson.

The UK market is the largest market and nearly half of all movements are in or out of the UK.
Correct, however closing the UK bases won't affect the company's revenue one bit; they will simply relocate a/c's "at the other end". They'll still have flights in or out of the UK, and still keep the UK market which indeed, is the largest methinks. Opening a base in say BTS won't cost as much as a bases' costs in the UK. It's all economics. All about money, revenue and profits. Would you do it differently should you have your own airline?

The local development funds and tourism councils that supply Ryanair with money either through direct funding or through proxy's such as the airports, demand job creation and stability
Now, who's supplying who with money? Wasn't the FR-VLC apt tiff all about that? VLC apt wanted more money off FR? FR bring in pax; pax pay lots of taxes when they purchase their tickets, part of these "taxes" going to the area councils/govs/authorities where the apt is.
Job creation and stability.... basically take an engineers' job who is perfectly content and happy with his/her UK base as he/she only lives down the road from the apt and who can't take the company's transfer offer on because his/her parents are ill and he/she needs to stay locally to look after them, and give his/her job to a contractor engineer, more workload on this person's shoulders but for the same money he/she earns already. Ruin 2 lives at one time, why don't you?

They just rely on the perception to everyone no matter whom they are that they will. In other words all Ryanair managers have to do is sell you the aroma of invincibility when in very real terms they are not.
So does BALPA. At least you don't pay Ryanair a "membership fee" and you know exactly what to expect from them, good or bad.

If you can prove and guarantee me in writing that FR will not close my base down should BALPA be recognized, a document signed by all the FR head honchos guaranteeing i will keep my job in the base i am now, i will then be more than happy to stop posting and "outrage" my dearest F/D colleagues with my opinions.
You can't? Thought so...