PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 3rd Jul 2009, 12:45
wobble2plank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As usual when no arguments to the contrary are available the usual suspects reply with the 'BASSA bashing' rhetoric. How surprising.

As has already been stated the gross profits pertaining to the 'fuel surcharge' and the 'cargo price fixing' scandals offsets the losses in fines. Whether the two cancel, lose or make profit is something that I feel BA will keep tightly closed. However the fact remains that they were covered in a time when the financial returns allowed them to be absorbed. Time goes on and the world continues to turn.

Oil prices stable? Where did this gem come from? Speculation alone has driven the price of petrol up to in excess of £1.05 a litre again. Fuel hedging could possibly take the edge of any fluctuation for a year or two but, without a viable alternative, the kerosene price will continue to rise. Add to that the prospect of interest rate rises, especially at the business level, and you have a dangerous cocktail for the future.

BA need to offer a stable, consistent product at a price that fits the current and future markets. Due to the overbearing, militant approach of BASSA we have become the summer laughing stock once again as yet another 'summer of discontent' hoves into view.

Even most of the CC have the good grace to feel embarrassed about the situation!

BA have in no way been backed into a corner by setting the bar too high. In fact what sort of statement is that in the first place? BA has expectations, plans and contingency plans. WW is a wily character and would not be playing this game if he wasn't certain of the outcome. The fact BASSA hates him is water off a ducks back to him. He just doesn't care.

The next few days will be very telling. I support our CC in the fullest terms, I do not however support BASSA's view or approach and I feel that many of our CC have been seriously let down by BASSA both now and in the past. Economies change and that change has to be taken into account. BASSA cannot comprehend this and thus takes it position shouting from its 1970's soap box.

If you want to know, as a snapshot, how many might be let down then take the 4000 who applied for VR under the given T's & C's but who may, now, face CR with far worse T's & C's.

Well done BASSA.