PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Shar Decision - Questioning "Their Lordships"`
Old 23rd May 2002, 00:01
MOA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Defending the Nimrod

Alpha,

You've gone and done it. You've forced me to stand up for the Nimrod. I must have spent too long up here all ready.

Your statement about the aircraft being an ineffective ASW platform willl have many a wetman up in arms. With the new processor the abilities have come on in leaps and bounds. It is true that the threat from submarines has diminished over the years, but it still remains. The threat from hoards of Russian bombers streaming in over the North Sea has diminished over the years but we still maintain a land based AEW network.

Indeed, the threat to a task group from an SSK may be increasing, with the ability for third world countries to purchase, maintain and run ex soviet kit ie Kilos. With task groups deploying to all areas of the world you never know who could be next door and sailing what little black boat he might have in international waters.

Task groups of course carry their own organic helo's which provide the groups own ASW protection. For the UK this is solely rotary so the protection is very localized. What about the sub surface SSN firer who could sit over 60 miles from your task group. Rotary ASW is not going to provide you with that level of coverage.

Weather considerations are also a factor. I was involved in an exercise the other day involving 2 ships plus their organic helos, a nimrod, all working against one sub. The helo's were grounded due to the fact that the sea state was too high to enable them to launch. Nimrod provide detection and targetting information for the group. Dont even let me get going about the Merlin claiming to be an MPA. It's not at the moment. It has a great potential but its going to take a while.

It is true that the aircraft has to pre position to support task groups, but there is a multitude of friendly nations all over the globe who can provide support. We've proved now that all we require is a long strip of concrete and we can pretty well supply the rest. With a crew working day of 19 hours (3 hours planning), say 5 hours on task you can quickly see we can travel vast distances to any AOI, albeit with AAR support.

The Nimrod is not just about ASW. It is an extremely efficient ASuW platform providing realtime surface picture reporting to commanders via Link11 (poormans Link16). The aircraft can also provide targetting information for over the horizon surface-surface attacks or vectoring in fast movers. This provides greater standoff freedom to units and placing fewer ships/aircraft in threat areas.

There are also several other roles which the aircraft undertakes which cant be repeated here. These are highly sensitive and alone prove the aircrafts worth. If you have access to the last (or could be the one previous now) CinC Strike Command's bulletin which concentrated on the Nimrod, have a read. It highlights some of the jobs not readily plublicised in the wider world.

Last (you'll be glad to hear), but by no means least, comes SAR. SAR trails, the ability to provide up to 8 MS10 dinghys plus container stores. The ability to locate a vessel in distress prior to the helicopter turning up. Vectoring in the helicopter so most fuel efficient extraction possible allowing greater working range for the helo's. Recently the Nimrod has been launched 4 times in the last 5 days (QEII, Princess Something (engine room fire, 800 POB)HMS Exeter (CASEVAC), two fishers (CASEVAC)). Probably more but I forget. What other aircraft has the ability to vector in helicopters to a burning ship (7 in total for the Princess), drop dinghys to distressed airmen. I could go on.

The MRA4 is going to be a another level above the capability of the MR2. Extended range, more sophisticated EO suite. Greater/more diverse weapon carrying capability. I feel the money is more than justified if only BAe can get their finger out and sort it.

You've had my thoughts. A bit of a ramble, but its late and I'm tired so all spelling is, of course, deliberate. I now lay myself open to ridicule........