PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vanguard
Thread: Vanguard
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2009, 18:26
Swedish Steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was an apprentice Ground Engineer with BEA, I was sent up to EDI one January to change a Tyne on a Vanguard that had been there a couple of days.
Normally the Vanguard was 3 engine ferried back to LHR, but the wind in EDI ahd been blowing strongly down the short runway, and it was decided that we would go up and do it.
Bit of a palavar, outside, snowing, jib crane, but got it changed.
Next morning, back to run it. It had been delivered minus the bleed valve, so we had to rob it off the old engine. The bleed valve adjuster was unavailable. So we started one engine (that had a generator), then the one we had changed (without generator), I soon saw why because as it was opened up, the ground power fell out due to the vibration. (I mean the cable fell on the ground!)
Figures taken, back to idle, power plugged back in, both engines shut down. Then open the massive petal cowlings (in the wind), give the bleed valve a couple of clicks, shut the cowlings and start again. We were doing this all day!

Two weeks later, I went on holiday to GIB and Tangier. Flew back from Tangier on the Gibair DC3, then onto the night Vanguard to LHR. We sat round the table in row 1 and 2. (First class was at the back) and played cards all night.