PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I too old - Aussie focus
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2009, 04:20
Aviator500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said Mr Hat!
I completed my CPL over a year ago when the industry was going great guns. It actually took me 3 years to complete the CPL, just flying weekends and during annual leave. During this time I had also been pursuing my professional career outside of aviation and also hit the 6 figure salary. I think you really have to think long and hard (depending on your personal situation) as to whether you should go with the flying in the current climate. The aviation industry obviously is one industry that gets hit first in a downturn and the risks with jumping in with two feet at the moment are high. I have a child on the way and decided to 'sit on my hands', complete the ATPLs and fly weekends to keep current....and during this time continue to also grow with my existing career....so WHEN the climate improves and it WILL I can fully evaluate whether to go with the flying career or not as I will have all the prereqs apart from the experience to jump in with. If you continue with your existing career in the mean time then at least you have that as security....which for me, with a family is the most important thing....