PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I too old - Aussie focus
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2009, 02:33
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi all

thanks again for the responses. I've been in two minds for a while, hence my post here. Unfortunately there really aren't too many people I can talk to this about if you get my meaning, and I know there would be guys in a similar boat as me. I just cracked the $160k mark at work (isn't that like B763 Capt pay?) at 32 so I'm definitely destined for financial greatness but there's nothing worse than getting up every morning to a job you hate (even if you're good at it). So thats the toss up:

1. hate job + lotsa money

or

2. love job + no money!

hell, I would give anything to fly Dash8s for Qlink. Sure its not quite a shiny new Airbus or Boeing but I guess I'd rather retire/die knowing I enjoyed my working life than to get to 65 wishing I had done something else.

I do have 2 kids and the FULL support of the Mrs (which I'm eternally thankful for) but yes I understand the risks and the hardship involved, esp in the beginning. *sigh* I'll probably look back at this point in maybe 10 years time and think A. I made the right decision or B. I made the wrong decision.
If I were you I would do my CPL and a Grade 3 instructor rating. The instructor rating you will have to do full time but I'm sure you can get annual leave to do it. I would then instruct part time weekends, in the summer after work meat bomb on weekends etc until you reach the 500 total time while keeping your 6 figure income.

If you're earning 160k it sounds like you are a trained professional with Year 12 and a degree, (unless you're a bogan digging holes on a mine, in that case Jetstar will have ya ) exactly what the big Q is after. Their minima is 500TT with a MECIR and ATPL subjects. I'd be doing that and keeping the salary until you can slot into an SO slot.

Or apply for a cadetship when it is up and running again. I'm sure you will be competitive!

keep in touch via PM when you're qualified, I have a few guy's do this and I'm sure I'll be able to or know someone who will be able to help you out when the time comes.

GG

Last edited by The Green Goblin; 2nd Jul 2009 at 04:24.