PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I too old - Aussie focus
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2009, 00:46
Di_Vosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Great Advice on this thread!

G'day TP,

Green Goblin gave a great summary of a pilots working life. But as MrHat said, it may take a few years longer.

For anyone, esp. older people you have to WANT the career to make a go of it. You also have to have your partner/family on board if you want it to work.

My Opinion, it is generally harder for older people to start and have a successful flying career.

This is NOT because it's more difficult to learn when you're older. But you've got to take a very hard look at your lifestyle/family/etc. to see whether it can take the stress of relocation, lower pay, etc, for the next several years. (not to mention the up to $80k or so it may cost). As a pilot, you may NEVER make the money that you earned in your previous career!

In my case, I decided (at 38) to leave I.T. and start another career in aviation. I.T. was great money, but I was sick and tired of the hours and conditions of work, and didn't want to do it for another 25 odd years.

From my first flying lesson to the time I got a job in Qlink was around 6 1/2 years. In that time, my partner and I have had to make many sacrifices, and I'm still not quite at my ultimate goal in aviation (pilot based in Melbourne) but that shouldn't be too far off, inshallah.

I wouldn't have been able to be where I am without the support of my partner, and I don't think I'd have been able to do it if we had children.

I DEFINITELY wouldn't be where I am if I'd listened to all the naysayers along the way! I was constantly advised by so-called aviation professionals that I was "too old" and that no airline would touch me, and that I had no future in aviation.

If I had taken their advice; they'd have been right!

I love my current job. The pay isn't what I had before, but money isn't everything. The lifestyle is fantastic! (I work on average 28 hours per week). And I'm close to my aviation career goal!

DIVOSH!

Last edited by Di_Vosh; 2nd Jul 2009 at 02:25. Reason: Spelling