PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uni or flying training? (2012)
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2009, 18:41
Scott Duch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do think degrees are a great thing to have behind you. It's not just the degree but other advantages that aren't instantly apparent. When you leave school...you've just come out of an environment of learning and heading into uni you'll continue to learn and i believe do your best. You won't have big financial commitments such as a mortgage, family or car etc....Once you graduate you'll be older, much more mature and have a 'wiser head' and make more educated decisions. I'm going to uni whem im 17 if i graduate i'll leave uni at 22. I wouldn't called that old and who says you have to go into pilot training straight away, you might want to make some money for yourself after secondary school and university being taught all this stuff, you might now want to put what you've learn't into practice then head into flying. I personally know one person who graduated with a aero-mech degree and did a year with a engineering firm, made some money and then went into flying.....he has experience using his degree. On the other hand i know someone who graduated with the mech engineering degree went straight into flying and then lost his medical and thus right to fly, he applied to a engineering company and got in a week later.

This isn't the only right way but nor is it wrong and i think i have proven that with the two accounts above but i've settled on what route im going to pursue.