PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC History
Thread: ATC History
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2009, 11:08
HEATHROW DIRECTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 sheds... You mentioned Lucky Craven.. When I left school in '61 I was too dumb to get into ATC so I became the lowest of the low - a temporary clerk in MoA HQ At Tavistock Place. The office I worked in dealt with the provision of telephone landlines for ATC so the Tels people in the office were constantly dealing with ATC types in Woburn Place, next door. I used to gaze in awe at the ATCOs who visited our office as I so wanted to be one!

Lucky was one of the ATCOs and he visited my boss one day and was telling a story during a tea break (tea trolley!!) recalling his days at Bournemouth. Apparently some high-ranking aviation types were visiting from Europe so before entertaining them in his office Lucky popped out and bought an imitation dog poo from a local toy shop. He postioned it just behind one of the legs of his desk and set up the visitors' chairs so one of them would just notice it... and he added a few drops of water for effect. Sure enough, when the visitors arrived they'd only sat down for five minutes when one noticed the poo. Lucky followed his eyes round the end of his desk... exclaimed "Oh that bl**dy dog", took out his hanky, picked the poo up in in, put it in his pocket and carried on as if nothing had happened. He said the look on the visitors's faces was a joy.. and they didn't stay long!!

I was getting my boss's tea from the trolley one day and Lucky gave me some imitation plastic sugar to put in his cup. I did, but it had no effect because being a Tels blokes didn't have the same zany sense of humour as Lucky.

If I recall didn't Lucky get the name because he was the sole survivor of his bomber crew?? I guess he's long gone but to me, a 17-yr old at the time, he was a hero!