PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Compulsory CRM training
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2002, 15:59
411A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tHUDddd,
Yes indeed, CRM is a waste of time. Having trained many young guys (250 hrs) in heavy jets from initial sim through line training...I have noticed that after they reach 1500 hrs or so, have attended CRM for a few years, they then think that they "know it all... have seen everything" and many are then questioning the Commander at every turn, and occasionally running to the Chief Pilot for no good reason. In the airlines that I have worked for, this business was stopped in its tracks. CRM should be used to review accidents/incidents and for general discussion only, and not nonsensical parlor games.
Of course, the "young" guys will not agree, but then again they have not been around long enough to know better. Not their fault really, and a few will never learn.
Then, when I get these guys in the sim, turn the screws a bit so that they have to actually think for a change (gosh, what a novel idea), many come unglued, performance is quite poor, because they can only recite the book from memory, not take decisive action.
Better to use the CRM time for more sim training (LOFT), and that is precisely what out company will be doing. Costs a little more, but MUCH better results in the long run.