PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I too old - Aussie focus
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2009, 03:10
RR RB211

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also had a late start into this but it's been the best thing I ever did.

Gear up and Green Goblin know what they're talking about - great advice there and well done on getting the medical done first, whoever told you that did you a favour (yeah common sense isn't all that common I have found).

There will be great times, and lonely times and rewarding times and not so rewarding times. Best advice I got was to network and try to stay in touch with as many of those you meet along the way as you can. That is the only reason I am where I am. A mate rang up and said - you should apply for this scheme, so I did, got in, and here I am. Had I lost touch with him, probably would never have happened.

I started back in 2002 where the times in aviation were about as bad as they are now or maybe a smidgen better. All I wanted was the RHS in a regional turbo prop. At the time that was what was realistic.

I did benefit from the crazy times of last year so I am now in the RHS of that turbo prop and loving every minute of it. Anything else from here on in is a bonus.

Good idea to get those ATPLs done before going remote. Lots of mates had the hours but no ATPLs so missed the opportunities when they arose, but they are well placed now for an upturn.

About the "flying with a younger captain" question you may get asked. I flew with one the other day - 9 years younger than me - and it was one of the best trips yet. Learnt heaps. Heck, most of the captains are younger than me - even the checkies, but their aviation experience is extensive and I always get a flying lesson of some sort when I am with them and the line captains.

Enjoy the journey Pharaoh, it's a great one overall, you'll make some great friends and have some unique experiences. It's all about the brush strokes on the great masterpiece of life. PM me if you think I can add more.