PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 30th Jun 2009, 20:52
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 174 Likes on 67 Posts
It was a frivolous ban that expired at midnight like Cinderellas carriage. Spare me the indignant rages.

It was 3 UK airlines that I was referring to - my previous forecast was for the EU area.

I'd listen to helimutt - he sounds as if he knows what he is talking about.

dublin_eire - yep, thanks, I was plenty bearish on bank stocks before the collapse.

I think any talk of house price crashes being cancelled sits uncomfortably with the news today:

Video: UK economy shrinks at fastest rate for 50 years - Times Online

UK economy shrinks at fastest rate for 50 years

The UK economy shrank by 2.4 per cent in the first quarter at the fastest rate in more than 50 years and far worse than expected, according to official figures today.

Revised figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) showed that, between January and March, the economy contracted by its fastest pace since 1958. The ONS revised down its initial estimate, showing a contraction of 1.9 per cent.

Analysts had predicted that the revised numbers would show a 2.1 per cent fall in GDP.

Today's shock data is in part due to a change in methodology in the way that the ONS calculates construction and services output, but will do nothing to boost Alistair Darling's hopes of a recovery by the end of the year.