PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I too old - Aussie focus
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2009, 15:19
Gearupandorrf

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Smile The whole age thing....a perspective from someone in your Boat....

G'day Pharoah!

I'm in exacltly the same position as you- except that I'm 35 and a few weeks off the end of my CPL (so you'll be at the same age by the time you're finishing up too).

I've been given the same advice from people that I know working in the Industry- don't sweat it. For guys like us, the LHS of a QF B747-400 or A380 may not be on the cards......but that's OK. As for me- I simply want to get to the point where I can tell myself that I'm going to work to do something that I really enjoy, and that this is what I chose to do. I feel sorry for those who just "fall" into a job or career and hate what they do. So whether I wind up at the end of my career in the LHS of a 747 or a Dash 8, is not something that concerns me too greatly. That's not to say though that opportunities should be seized upon if it will help you progress. At the end of the day, if I can provide my future Family with a decent existence whilst doing something that I WANT to do- then I'll be a more than happy bloke.

When approaching the likes of Qantas in an interview, you may have to get over the hurdle of a Pshych/ HR person grilling you as to why it took you so long to get to that point with your Flying career. Make sure that:
1. You can demonstrate some decent acheivements personally and professionally that can explain away the extra years compared to some other applicants and;
2. Have a very clear and concise answer prepared as to what your motivations are for wanting to fly for a living, and for flying for QF/ VB or whoever the case may be. It's possible that the perception will be that you're not dedicated to further your career.

For me personally, I've spent those extra years getting my Home paid off (demonstrating a sense of responsibility and common sense), plus setting up and running my own business. I definitely don't see those things as a waste of time, and has allowed me the financial freedom to train most of the week without worrying about money. Also- very importantly- it gives me the ability to be able to earn $33K a year during that first year or two without any problems- plus I'll still have my business ticking over as well. Because we own our Home, we can rent it out if I need to move to where the work is for a while.

Feedback that I've received seems to indicate that some years and possibly a few grey hairs around the Temples may actually HELP you in getting that first job (whether it be Charter or Instructing). The perceived wisdom is that operators like to take on more mature guys for various reasons. This may include life experience/ common sense/ work ethic/ stability/ reliability etc etc.

Also, once this GFC/ recession blows over, operators here in Australia are going to find themselves short of Pilots once again (to all readers: NO- I don't have any affiliations with any Flying Schools!). The current economic situation has only served to place a temporary Band Aid on the lack of Australians who are training to fly for a living. I don't have the stats on hand, but the number of professional Flying qualifications being issued by CASA have been dropping year- on- year for most of this decade. Just take a look around Moorabbin/ Bankstown or the Exam Room when you're sitting some ATPL's, and you'll see what I mean. For example, the number of current Grade 3 Instructors has shrunk dramatically in the last 5 years by more than half.

So here's the plan that I'm following:
1. Get the CPL, ATPL subjects and MECIR or Instructors Rating (me) done now.
2. Get your life/ finances set up so that living on low wages for a year or two won't break you.
3. Be agressive in chasing that twin or IR work when it looks like things are starting to pick up.
4. Be riding the wave when everyone starts recruiting again.
BECAUSE- if you miss the next wave- then age really MIGHT start to become a real barrier.

I wish you the absolute best of luck with it all- it's never easy even in the good times (so I've heard)!

Regards,
Gearup.