PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I too old - Aussie focus
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2009, 04:09
purplemonkydishwashr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Pharoah.

If you've got the patience and fortitude to survive quite a few years in GA and in the lower eschelons of the airline world, then there is nothing to say that you cant get a jet job.
Personally, I got my CPL at 30, did some time in GA, moved to a 19seat turboprop job, then to ATR's for 2 years and then a job flying heavies (2nd officer) for Air NZ at age 37.
Some airlines are finding a problem of having hired similarly aged recruits (ie 25 -30) way in the past, and are now beginning to encounter a problem with all these guys approaching retirement at the same time, therefore causing recruitment stresses (when all this current economic s@#t settles). One method to avoid this in future is to recruit guys and girls of all ages, with an understanding that some may never achieve a widebody command, but can still have a rewarding career with the airline. My employer in the last couple of years has hired in the age range of 23 - 50.
I believe that you're training at a great time. All this rubbish will settle in a year or two, and you'll be well poised.