PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Horten 229 Flying Wing
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2009, 17:38
wileydog3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the program was well done except for the secret location of the -229 at "silver hill'. And the replica was a beautiful machine. I had never read the requirement for '3 times 1000' for the Luftwaffe.. interesting.

The program said flight tests showed the -229 superior to the -262 in performance (t/o distance, speed, altitude) and that it was more agile. The program asserted in simulated dogfights, the -229 again was superior to the -262 but various sites say the -229 prototype only made a few flights before crashing and the cause of the crash is debated.

Today, enroute to KIND, we passed by Freeman Field which is southwest of Dayton's Wright Patt. After WWI, Freeman field was used for flight test of many Axis aircraft including the -262 but when I visited Freeman a few years ago, I saw nothing to suggest the -229 ever made it there.

Anyway, very interesting machine and the program said that the replica showed a 20% reduction in the radar cross section compared to other aircraft. With its speed, reduced RCS, it would have been very difficult to intercept if not impossible.

Good show and it would be very interesting to see the replica up close. A very clean design.

more here
Horten Wings