PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vanguard
Thread: Vanguard
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2009, 23:47
edinv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more Vanguard memories

My passenger connection with the Vanguard goes back to 1962. - My second ever flight was a BEA Vanguard flight LHR/BCN, probably the 0010 departure as listed in WHBMs earlier post. - My first flight was on a BEA Viscount 806 EDI/ LHR the previous day, looking again at WHBMs post on LHR Vanguard schedules summer 1962, the LHR/EDI route had a 'gap' in the afternoon, this gap filled by V806s.
Several Vanguard flights later, I rememer flying the LHR/MLA route in the summer 1971, this was the last year of service of PAX Vanguards to MLA with no real competition, as the flights were operated in association with the Malta Airlines , a BEA associated airline. - no connection with Air Malta which started in 1972.
Also in 1972 I remember flying into YUL from PIK on a BOAC flight and seeing a long line of parked-up AC Vanguards awaiting re-sale, all a bit sad. - The AC Viscounts were still however very active then.
My last ever Vanguard flight was over LHR/EDI in 1973. Trident 3s had taken over most of the flights on this route by this time, however to avoid the FEAR of landing at EDI by Trident on RWY13/31 (now 12/30) I elected to use the Vanguard!!

- Thanks to NORWICH for re-producing Colin Louries collection of Vanguards - happy days at EDI except when they diverted to GLA due X-winds!