PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 28th Jun 2009, 21:16
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 206 Likes on 73 Posts
Yeah - I'm not sure about the RYR fleet expansion plan. It could be the ballsiest move since Maverick popped the speedbrake and Jester flew right by. Really - it could. Fortune favours the brave; the time to buy is when there is blood on the streets etc etc.

However, Stelios has blinked and said No. Apply the brakes. Is he cleverer than Michael O Leary. Probably not but maybe. Only time will tell.

History does contain a suprising number of airlines that over expanded into a downturn and bust themselves.

We shall just have to see.

I like talking about the positive side. Last year I had real fears that the worlds banking system might collapse. In the second week of September 2008 it VERY nearly did:

Banking Collapse of 2008: Three weeks that changed the world | Business | The Observer

That's passed now and my bunker must become the hole for my swimming pool. My sniper rifle can be traded in for a shire horse and the gold buried under my begonias can be dug up and returned to the bank.

The rather more mundane and dull reality can now be confronted. Anemic growth, higher taxes and a rather tedious process of sorting out public sector pensions and other massive and massively boring issues.

There will be some jobs out there for Wannabes. Not many. But some.