PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is being a pilot still a worthwhile career for newcomers?
Old 28th Jun 2009, 15:07
the reo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guava tree

Its very hard to expand without sounding bitter and getting flames running in a stack of people.

The simple version
Airline flying has very little hands on flying. If the flying you love is all about going to different cities on night stops then it will rock your boat.

If the flying you love is about the hands and feet, meandering a bit on your way because something looked interesting over there. Then be cautious of airline flying. Many from times past kept this by recreational flying going when not at work. However I suggest that the wage (worldwide) is not keeping up with inflation and I don't find many of the younger generation with the cash to afford this recreational flying on the side.

The monotony of an airline job can send you nuts at times. Yes the view of a sunset and sunrise is fantastic and you won't see it in the office.
However any newcomer needs to be aware of the constant fatigue, night shift, shorter and shorter layovers and the increasing number of hours flown per month that this industry is accepting.