PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair-Questions, comments, bouquets & brickbats (Merged)
Old 28th Jun 2009, 02:36
Donkey497

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Caveat Emptor once again, I am afraid to say.

To be honest, where I fly for myself, I try to fly with someone else. However, I do not have a problem flying with Ryanair. They provide a usually very prompt service.

What I do not like about them is the way that they do business, but this is down to our perceiptions of how airlines should do business.

I do not consider them any more rapacious or greedy than any other airline. Being dispassionate, they are probably being a little more honest than the legacy airlines, but we are used to these folks providing a high level of service, but at a higher cost.

To their credit, Ryanair have singled out what is essential to air travel - the fact that you board an aircraft in one location and arrive safely, shortly thereafter in another location. Anything else is secondary, and can be charged for as an optional extra.

I don't like this approach because it is opposite to the way the rest of the industry works, but I do admire their lateral thinking.
The rest of the (legacy) industry, by charging a flat fee for travel, baggage, catering etc. effectively limits their profit per passenger to a maximum limit defined by what the passenger doesn't take advantage of. Whilst as for Ryanair, their business model effectively means they have a limitless profit potential from each passenger, so long as the basic, replacement cost of the flight per passenger is charged.

The other things which bug me about Ryanair are as follows:-
1: Their colour scheme inside the plane
2: Their colour scheme inside the plane
3: Their use of regional airports, but describing them as primary airports. Sorry, but there is nop way in hell that Prestwick should be described as a Glasgow airport. Similarly, Torp is in no way an Oslo airport