PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ainsworth's assurance over "safe" Nimrod
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2009, 16:02
Softie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TD
I refer you to the BOI report, who conducted ground trials to determine the hot air pipe surface temps (which backed up theoretical temps from BAES) and allowed them to identify the SCP pipe as the most likely source of ignition.
You are correct that heat will conduct but even if there is hot air on the engine side of the crossfeed cock it will not reach full engine exit temp unless it is allow to flow ie. through the cross feed to the other engines or to the SCP. As Edsett has stated the SCP has been permanently blocked. As I mentioned earlier, it would require the engines to be at maximum rpm to produce temps approaching the XV230 scenerio - and fuel held in close prox to the crossfeed pipe (if used) and this is very unlikely. I think you should accept that the risks have been addressed and that your fears are unfounded.
It is wrong to keep suggesting that the MOD/RAF is running rough shot over safety issues. Advice from QQ is and has always been simply that - ADVICE on which to base decisions.

Last edited by Softie; 26th Jun 2009 at 16:39.