PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stroppy First Officers - CRM issue
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2009, 15:42
BitMoreRightRudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great perspective frombeamer and wileydog.

As an F/O I think it is always easy to assume, out of the two roles on the flightdeck, we have the tougher deal. A requirement to rapidly assess the character and personal preferences of your captain, how they like to operate the a/c (harking back to beamer's point about the SOP to Gash spectrum) and all the while keeping them within their comfort zone with regards your own performance. And of course laughing at their jokes and sympathising about the ex-wife/annoying teenager/costly second mortgage etc.

The more experience I get I realise it is actually a lot more difficult from the LHS, and I think certainly the F/O in question in this thread would do well to remember this!

My question is this - what would you do if you were the FO in question?
D O Guerrero

Personally I wouldn't avoid flying with the guy, it would be avoiding the problem. I would choose from two options. Option 1, at the pre-flight briefing politely inform the captain you don't wish to fly any sectors as PF that day. This (should) prompt the question why, and it is up to you how you answer.

Option 2 is to carry on with the day as normal, if you feel you are being pushed into operating outside of your comfort zone, hand over control and once on the ground explain the reasons you decided it best the captain have control, and that is the way you think the rest of the day should be.

If he constantly deviates from SOP all you can do is operate within them. Personally I wouldn't go to management unless you really feel you have to. I have a friend who went to management over an incident with a captain and it made life difficult for quite some time after. I think the best way is always to speak to the captain about whatever it is and take it from there.