PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The right to work in Canada...
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2009, 17:57
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better to remain

Since you ask, "Is it unfair that jobs here in the UK are taken by qualified guys and girls from the above countries?"
I suppose it depends upon EU agreements between the 12 member nations. Yeah? So I'd have to say that it's not unfair.

Canada is made up of 10 Provinces and three territories. For its' size, it would be unfair to compare us to the EU, so I won't. As Canadians, for me to say it's fair that a similarly qualified pilot from Alberta who gets a pilot job over me, being from a different province, ISN'T SAYING MUCH, is it? So how then does it matter if someone from a different EU country is offered employment over someone such as yourself when that's allowed by EU agreement?

"It is a global economy, and the right person for the job should be allowed, nae, should get the position based on an ability to do the job, not where they were born." While it IS a global economy, the last time I checked, each country maintained it's own soverignty, immigration laws and citizenship requirements. Much like:
the British,
French,
South African,
Kiwis, and Dutch, etc
in your example.

The best suggestion I could give you regarding Canada is to simply pop into the nearest Canadian Consulate or Embassy (or go on-line) and see what you require to immigrate here. Complete that process and once you've landed here, convert your licence and send out your CV like everyone else.

Opinion varies within this thread, but simply stated, the short cuts don't work. They don't work for us. They shouldn't work for you. That's not news, it's just a reality.
This is a big country and we certainly have room for you and yours. But, do apply and follow the process.
I'm simply one who believes that pilot vacancies at Canadian carriers are for Canadian pilots. That includes pilots who immigrate through proper channels.
Give it a shot!

Willie (good luck in the future)