PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is being a pilot still a worthwhile career for newcomers?
Old 22nd Jun 2009, 14:42
jonathon68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it still worth being an airline pilot?

This is a question which almost every generation asks the preceding generation, about almost every career.

My father had a fairly good run with his flying career culminating in a comfortable retirement in Europe. He supported my evident enthusiasm for flying throughout my teens with a sensible mix of encouragement and realism.

I have been flying for a living for 19 years now, and have never seriously doubted my choices. For me it was and is all about flying. I love flying and enjoy working with guys/girls who are there for the same reason. However the economic "rain on my parade" during the last decade or so definitely leave me with a feeling that I am working in a dying profession.

It is interesting to note that the people I graduated University with in the mid-late 80's have encountered similar career disappointment. While I have gone through considerable "angst" through this period I remain basically happy to end up flying wide-body jets from the left hand seat.

Most of my Uni mates were chemical engineers, who seemed to have a future paved with gold in the mid-80's in Europe. Sadly that all changed when the iron curtain came down in 1989 onward. Not a single one remains in their career field 20 year's later, with multiple redundancies, interim commutes and periods of uncertainty ensuing. So all careers are now facing the same insecurities etc.

My advice is, if you are exclusively obsessed about flying above all else, then go for it. If not,then do something else.