PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The value of NOTAMs?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2009, 21:27
NorthSouth

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Well done IO540, got a good debate going. I don't believe for a second that you do any of the things you claim, you just like winding people up.

If there is a baloon, is the plane in question going to just ignore it and fly straight through it?
No, it means that if a balloon is daft enough to go into an area with notified activity which may not be able to comply with the Rules of the Air they should expect that aircraft might - for example - pass under, over or in front of them, might overtake them on the left instead of the right, might be flying closer to cloud and in worse vis than set out in the RoA, might not be showing any lights.

Dublinpilot:
Quote:Most NOTAMs are a load of crap

Well I don't see what the problem with that statement is. The vast majority of them in my briefings seem to be about new obstacles that are erected, almost always below 500ft.
Can't speak for Irish NOTAMs but I can safely say that almost none of the UK NOTAMs (other than those for airports) are about new obstacles.

As regards the original NOTAM which offended gpn01, I agree that it looks like a case of a standard NOTAM being applied to all the airfields irrespective of the airspace - a bit lazy. Maybe they should just have said "increased activity in vicinity of...".

NS