PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The value of NOTAMs?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2009, 19:05
dublinpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most NOTAMs are a load of crap
Well I don't see what the problem with that statement is. The vast majority of them in my briefings seem to be about new obstacles that are erected, almost always below 500ft.

Since I don't fly that low (it's illegal in most places), I can just disregard all of them. Without them, my narrow route brief would generally be less than half it's original size.

Then there are the one notifying that some aircraft is doing a flyby. Humm....so I might meet an aircraft flying low. Well as I don't fly low, it shouldn't be a problem. It's more likely to be a collision risk while enroute, the same as any other aircraft is.

Or the ones that really wind me up....a PJE in the south west of Ireland, that is given a 99nm or sometimes 250nm radius so that my trip from Dublin to London has it included on the briefing.

IO obviously checks the notams....he's said often enough here that it's important. His point (and it's one that I agree with) is that putting in pointless notams only clouds up the picture and helps to hide notams that are truely important.

dp