PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2009, 09:02
Horror box

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like we've had an APU failure and a MGB chip detect in the same week over here in NL, as expected the newspapers are spinning faster than a UK politician, certainly not good for PAX confidence in the S-92a albeit sounds like Cougar did everything by the book as expected.
That really should not be newsworthy IMO. Neither are a big deal at all, and it sounds to me like a whole lot of scaremongering by NL journos who clearly do not know very much about helicopters, let alone the S92. To try and make any sort of news out of an APU failure is frankly absurd. Next NL journos will be getting worked up about a blown light bulb (which actually is propably more of a problem if it is a landing light on a dark night) As has been stated before - this is taken out of all context, and if you want to look at figures and stats such as these, then compare them with other aircraft types, and I suspect the S92 will come out favourably in a comparison. I think we are all for a sensible investigation and debate, but it is not looking very sensible when rubbish like this is going into the news, to further bias people opinions on the basis of inaccurate and unqualified reporting. These journos are doing no favours for anybody with this type of reporting. Those of us flying this machine and going to work in it still have an important job to do. The pilots often get to see the news for what it is, but the PAX don't always have this fortune, so may not always be able to filter the crap. I would hate to be responsible for worrying the pax and their families any more than they are already, especially as it is generally completely unnecessary. The most dangerous part of their journey to work remains to be the drive to the airport despite what irresponsible journos want to print.