PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is being a pilot still a worthwhile career for newcomers?
Old 20th Jun 2009, 05:45
Lowkoon

Location: HK- A little bit of industrial China in every breath you take.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My two cents worth, I guess the industry is going through a paradigm shift where we are realising that the 'career' is becoming a job, and not one that you do for the money. Can anyone else name an 'in demand' career where we are earning less now than we did in the 80's?

The hey day for aviation is well and truely over, but those of us still in it find this hard to accept, (understandably). What was once a desireable career and lifestyle has slowly been chipped away to the 'sweat shop' flying conditions offered by low cost carriers the world over. The flow on effect from that, is that management compare our salaries to those of the LCCs, and terms and conditions are gradually being erroded industry wide. Resentment sets in as management conveniently dont apply these same erroding conditions to themselves, quite the opposite, they are compensated for reducing our conditions, ie they are payed more if they find a way to pay us less.

If you want to be a pilot, then be a pilot. If you want to be a high flying aviator with an enviable lifestyle, with incredible perks and all the trimmings fortune can afford you, and the time off to enjoy it, then build a time machine and go back 30 years.

I would never encourage a family member to follow this career, and I know I am not alone in this sentiment, nor am I proud of it. As for the trend in conditions, there is nothing on the horizon that will change the downward direction. Expect further cost cuts and negative pressure on wages and conditions. Airline profits the world over have evapourated. The only area of positive growth wage wise for the last 20 years is management wages. The ratio of management wages to employee wages in this industry is the only positive wage trend. Dont do it for the money.

No doubt I am about to cop some flack from the novice, 'star in the eye, I fly a big jet' types. Bring it on you deluded nancy boys!